Monday, March 5, 2012

"Single/In a Relationship/Engaged"....Pick the RIGHT One.


I've got something that God wants me to say about relationships. At least I think it's about relationships.
I really want to get this right...and not speak in a hurry, but I have found that if I wait, or take it really slow, then the words won't always come....So, here goes....


Relationships are important. Sure they are. I am talking about the male/female relationship. A relationship is a good thing. Of course it is.... And in this same vein:


Money is important (to a degree). Sure it is. Without it, your mortgage company won't let you keep your house, your bank won't let you keep your car....the grocery story won't let you carry your groceries to the car. Money is a good thing. Of course it is.


Education is important. Sure it is. Without it, you could not sign your name to the check to send your mortgage company. You could not read the digits on the speedometer in your car....and you could not pick out a balanced meal in the grocery store.


There are many, many things in this life that are important. There are many that are good. Some are good and not so important, but still good......And my point is?


My point is FOCUS. My point is PRIORITY.


I pause here and do the heavy sigh thing <sigh>....because I am not quite sure how to word the rest of this message for the full impact of what I am trying to convey....bear with me....


Through the many social networks available, I "watch" as my friends, both far and near, put so much emphasis on relationships (the male/female kind).....The Christians seek Godly partners and rejoice when they meet on Monday and are "in a relationship" by Wednesday, and "engaged" by Friday...then "single" by Sunday. (Okay, so maybe sometimes it takes longer than a week, but you get the gist of what I am saying). And the same thing happens to my non-Christian friends. I watch as they post the pretty "broken but better for it" type posters....I watch them heal miraculously, and start the same process again...


It is as if the whole world is "starved" for a relationship. And indeed it is! It's as if everyone needs some "one" to complete them, and indeed they do! But here is the secret: Of all the things we desire that are needful and good (relationships included) there is only one thing that is absolutely essential to the quality of life. There is only one relationship that fulfills and "completes."  That One is God. That relationship, is a relationship with the one true God.


Many times I want to cry out, "Please, my friend, get THIS first! Understand THIS first! Seek God FIRST!"


There is so very much more I could say on this subject, and maybe I need to go further. But the thing I really want to get across is this: The strong desire we have to connect with another human, was put there by our Father. But until you and I are complete in our relationship with God, and by complete I mean, "sold out" "100% disciple" "don't NEED nothin'else"....until we are at THIS point - then any other relationship will not fulfil. It simply will not.


When we reach the point where we are totally in love with God, then, and only then, will our hearts be prepared to receive the life partner HE has prepared especially for us.


I think that's all I have to say. Except maybe, "slow down," wait on God. He brought you this far and He will take you the rest of the way.


And above all else: Seek God. Seek Him with all that  is within you. Muster all your passion and direct it towards your relationship with Him.....and just watch what happens.

No comments:

Post a Comment